Tuesday, December 27, 2011

(658) The Fall of Shane MacKade by Nora Roberts

By the time I hit this book, the fourth in the series, I was quite tired of the love scenes. But Roberts was really very inventive: she connected all the paranormal events in the previous three books and brought in a scientist to measure and record them. I could relate to Rebecca, though I was not so brilliant; I did spent many years working hard to win scholarships.

Reading this book brought back child hood memories. I remember going to a neighborhood temple and witnessing a young man who fell into a trance, danced and jumped like a monkey. I did not like that and I backed many steps out of the temple. The boys, on the other hand, crowded nearer to see the spectacle. After the trance ended, we kids left to go home. One of the boys started acting funny, he kept disturbing the others. Those who were irritated retaliated. It was strange, he seemed stronger than even the older boys. We became scared and most of us run home.

Looking back, that boy was probably sensitive to spiritual forces. He went too near to the possessed man and he was affected. He was not himself. After he continued acting like a monkey for many days, his parents had to take him to the temple with offerings to rid him of the monkey spirit. My grand ma was right, it was not smart to go too near to people who meddle with spirits. Sounds like the inverse square law that governs light waves, I walked away ten feet, therefore I felt one hundredth of the influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment