Monday, December 5, 2011

(585) Shortcomings

I was chatting with a church friend over lunch. She confessed that there were Sunday mornings she could not drag herself off her bed to dress for church.

What about going to another church in old t-shirt and jeans? Her answer was she could not face being welcomed and being the target for answering getting-to-know-you questions. I suggested slipping in after service started and sneaking out before it ended. Oh dear, she said that meant she had to do some research ahead to find out the exact timing.

Thinking about that, I had to admit that there are some comfortable but rather faded clothes that I still keep but would not wear them to church. Generally I am far from being a sharp dresser. Most of the time I hardly care what folks think of me or else I would not put recycled clothes to use. Yet I do not want to stand out like a sore thumb. My goal is usually to blend in and attract no attention.This is indeed a serious shortcoming: our churches cannot and will not attract a wider spectrum of people across the socio-economic divide if we continue to behave like upper middle class country clubs.

I know I am meeting the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords in church on Sunday. I do dress up a little out of respect. But I still think that God loves me the way I am, a little untidy, perhaps not every hair in place and not dressed to the nines.

No comments:

Post a Comment