Sunday, December 25, 2011

(653) The Pride of Jared MacKade by Nora Roberts

If you have read what I wrote about The return of Rafe MacKade, you will know that I have admiration for the way Roberts wrote her books.

Just like I plow through Agatha Christie books looking for what she wrote about human psychology or foibles, I am starting to systematically go through every Roberts book I can access for her portrayal of her fallible characters.

I like The pride of Jared M even better than the previous book. She has matched bookish and proud lawyer with a reckless but responsible unwed mum, Savannah. Being safe and sheltered by nature and upbringing, it is refreshing to read about a character I have not even met in my circles till now. All the girls who were pregnant before marriage tend to be quickly married off in my community. I can't think of a single one among my relatives, friends, school mates or even people I hear about keeping the baby and be a single teenage mum in this country.

Just in case you get the idea that in this city we kill single unwed mothers or something equally drastic, that is not true. I do have a neighbor who chose to keep her love child and booted the father out when he told her to abort. But then she was a financially independent woman of twenty six years. The daughter (now an adult) turned out to be a blessing to the mother, who is still single now.

No comments:

Post a Comment