Saturday, December 24, 2011

(647) The return of Rafe MacKade by Nora Roberts

I have watched a movie or two of her stories on television. Now that I am in the midst of reading my first Roberts books, I see why so many of her books were made into movies.

Like many best sellers authors, she writes well. She is able to weave tangible images of her characters. I can close my eyes, imagine what Rafe, Regan, Devlin and Jared looked like and how they ticked. More than that, she managed to insert in American history, bits and pieces of antique furniture and period decoration into the stormy romance. She pulled in para normal events, spousal abuse and uncontrolled rage either coupled with alcohol abuse or frustrations experienced in some men's youth which remain the main driving force in the latter parts of their lives.

Reading her description of Maryland is like a revisiting of the state. I spent a wonderful Christmas one year in the belt-way region. I like the area enough to seek for internship the following year. I even received my first proposal of marriage from a much older man there. Memories, sweet and alluring, but not enough for me to want to physically go back. Somehow it is just right to read a book well set in the environs.

No comments:

Post a Comment