Tuesday, December 6, 2011

(588) Speech therapy

One of the mothers in my church sent her daughter for speech therapy. It is true that the girl is already three years old and can only speak in single words or phrases. But I suppose there are children who start speaking early and there are others who are a little late.

Among my children, Michael started saying sounds with meaning at age seven months. At one year old he was fluent in sentences. Surprisingly he can be rather quiet now. I was rather worried about Denise, who did not start talking until age two. All I knew then was that she was not a deaf mute, for she could say a few words at eighteen months. For a girl, she was silent as a toddler. Now I could not even get her to shut up, she can chatter whole day long.

Ever wonder how a speech therapist work with a three year old? According to the mom, there are lots of toys in the therapy room. Until the child say," Panda, please!" The therapist would not let her touch the lovely panda soft toy. I suppose stay-at-home mums do that with their toddlers all the time, perhaps that is why my homemaker friends and I worked on our own children daily. For a career woman who works long hours, there is no choice but to seek expert help when the maid she hired does not talk to her daughter much.

No comments:

Post a Comment