Friday, December 2, 2011

(581) Biological clock? Hormones?

Years ago I used to debate  with my father over many topics. One of them has something to do with feminism. My father was educated by private tutors from China. While he was growing up in a rural area, there was no government nor private school. A few families(who cleared virgin jungle to plant rubber trees) banded together to bring in a young man from Southern China to educate the young boys. He was of the opinion that women should be married. I, on the other hand, is of the new school who believe that a woman could remain  single. Well, after all, she could be well educated and work at a career that pays her well enough to own a house, a car and maybe a viable retirement plan.

After much bringing foward points and countering with other points, he merely said,"Wait till you are older, then you will understand what I am trying to tell you now!"

He has passed away quite a few years by now. I am finally old enough to see what he was trying to tell me. Everything was well and good for a working woman until she reached a certain stage ( I suppose each woman may hit the point at different times), then she may be desperate to find someone and be married. I saw with my own eyes my best friend who was swinging single suddenly decided to get married. The eligible single girl who seemed to be heartless and kicked away many suitors: engineers, accountants, lawyers, managers ... suddenly she did not mind the fact that her beloved is fifteen years older than her, earns only a third of her pay, educated  six years less than her, came from a small village, came from a poor family ... It was the biological clock, she suddenly realized that should she delay further, she may be childless.

Now I am watching helplessly as my other friend throws all cautions to the wind and pin her hopes on her internet heart throb. She does not mind him controlling what she wears (it is funny to hear of her beloved telling her not to bring much clothes there, as he would take her shopping and show her how to dress to fit in with his crowd). She does not mind cooking Western food for him while she cooks her curry or laksa that she occasionally craves. She would not mind being the main bread winner while he sits at home. I suppose she knows that this is the last chance before she hits menopause. My father is right, women may be capable financially and in many ways. But when it comes to the biological clock ticking and the hormones rushing, they may cleave to the wrong guys and suffer for the rest of their mortal lives or be robbed of their entire life savings in their autumn years.

No comments:

Post a Comment