Monday, December 26, 2011

(657) The Heart of Devin MacKade by Nora Roberts

This book zeros in on Cassandra, a woman who quietly suffered abuse from her violent husband for many years before opting out. Because I have spent years listening in between the lines to an abused (both physical and emotional) wife who happened to be a professional, it is nothing new to me.

Anyway, my friend decided that since her beauty was fading, she was growing in years, she would do better to tolerate her husband than facing a divorce. She struggled out of the pit of depression and live on, making the best of the circumstances. Just as I thought I have dealt with the a to z of marital abuse. My next friend was one who packed her bags and left her husband and four children. She believed she was running either from being killed or imprisoned, I saw the terror on her face when she whispered her fears. I suppose it is worse being killed inch by inch than facing a one stroke murder. Even running away penniless is better than giving in and dying to one's hopes and dreams. To be honest, what I heard from the second woman is worse than what I read in the Devin book. Sad to say, all that pain and struggles were etched firmly on my second friend's face, she could not find a new husband as easily as Cassandra.

Nevertheless, it is a well written story. The way Roberts portrayed Cassandra's feelings are entirely believable. If you are a timid person with a domineering mother, you would understand perfectly how Cassandra fell from the frying pan into the fire by marrying her abusive husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment