Monday, December 19, 2011

(615) Alternative life style


Are sexual orientations born? I am not an expert, I can't give cut and dry answers. I believe most of the time, it is. After saying that, I think our environment does shape us to a large extent.


When I was in pre-university, I was in a male dominated class, that is to say that three quarters of the members were male. Among the male, I want to zoom in on one, let me call him Alex. He is tall and fair, most girls in the college considered him good looking. He is artistic, this inclination is well demonstrated by the beautiful deco he whipped up on a low budget for the Freshies' Ball. At the same time, I want to state that he is very good in Physics and Higher Maths. When we organised a Valentine's Day Party, everyone loved the butter cup cakes he brought. We conveniently attributed the delicious treats to his sisters. Much later, we discovered that he actually baked them. His mum and many sisters did a good job in teaching him.


Up to that point, I believe he was hetero-sexual. Because we all noticed his interest in the second prettiest girl in our group. However, fifteen years later, in a chance meeting, he told me he was gay.


A lot of things happened within the intervening years. Alex was kicked out of a famous university. We heard that he befriended the wrong crowd and spent far too much time pub crawling. For a nineteen-year-old that was first time far away from home, I think it is something I could have sympathy for. None of us is perfect, each one does make mistakes. His just happened to have far reaching effects in a bad way.


With a one way air-ticket and the first year's tuition, he flew to a faraway country. He knew he had to survive on his own, because no one would remit him any more money. Working very hard and living frugally, he put himself through university and earned a prestigious degree. In the process of doing that, he mixed around and accepted help from some fringe groups. He actually returned to his own country with his gay partner. Finding it tough to be out of the closet in his home town, he went to the nearest city and started a successful vegetarian restaurant. I am not passing judgement. If everyone could be a little lenient and not push him away, perhaps today he would be straight and happily married with children.

* dx-flower-final-other-colors.gif from webdesign.org

No comments:

Post a Comment