Tuesday, December 20, 2011

(627) Fate?



That day Ken asked how did April marry such a jerk! How, indeed. It was easy... April met her future husband as soon as she settled in Canada. After all, her two senior house mates were almost engaged to the two guys who shared a house with her would be husband. This jerk we know as her husband was actually her first boyfriend. And she married him later. When we were young, we did have limited vision.


Looking back, had my father not taught me to honour my promise, I could have married a jerk myself:-


After my graduation, I started to lecture in a private college in my home city. Meanwhile I was interviewing far and wide for a better job. Among the many jobs I applied for, there was a programming post in a neighbouring country. There I visited with my college friend. She was overtly trying to match her elder brother with me. While we were abroad, there was one year of over lap. He was in his senior year while I was a freshman. We have met a few times and attended a dance together one weekend. According to my room mate, this guy was interested in me. I certainly did not see anything myself in that direction. There it was, in my friend's home, I could certainly sense a warm welcome in the parents. They liked me.


I did not get the job offer. There I went on with my job search in my hometown. Three months later, just as I had verbally promised to report for work in a new company the following week, a telephone call came offering me the job I applied for in my friend's country. I had a tough time deciding at the spur of the moment. If I were to say yes, I would have to travel there and start work in three days' time. But I had given my word that I would accept the new job in my hometown. All within a few minutes, I explained that although I was not bound by a written contract, I would not like to go back on my verbal promise. If the phone call had come just twelve hours earlier, the decision would be to take up the foreign offer.


A year and a half later, I went to visit my friend again. That trip was to attend her sister's wedding and to shop for my own nuptial. I had accepted the offer of a man with a good heart. It was a narrow escape as later events proved that my friend's brother turned out to be quite a bad husband despite his polished appearance, wealth, status and potential. I claim no credit in the choice, it was circumstances that dictated my decision.

*Thai-Street-Food-786862.jpg from foodmayhem.com

No comments:

Post a Comment