Thursday, December 22, 2011

(640) A child's potential

During our gathering a little girl was holding a pair of scissors with her left hand. Someone in the group asked if she is left handed. It seems that she can use either hands. Straight away my big mouth opened and I declared that she is ambidextrous. That means she can do things with either hand equally well, which leads me to infer that her left and right brain hemispheres are co-dominant.

From my personal experience, only a very small percentage of the general population possess co-dominant brain hemispheres. A good example would be Leonardo da Vinci, who was famous for Art and yet he too was a visionary in science. My brother writes well, is good in literature but is also a scientist. Among all my classmates from Grade 1 to 12 onto pre-university, there are a girl in Grade 3 and a boy in pre-u who are ambidextrous. All other co-dominant hemisphere folks I know I met in university. That girl from Grade 3 grew up to be a director in an advertising outfit in her late twenties. The boy from pre-u is a consultant urologist today.

I suppose I frightened the poor mother. She did not ask for an exceptional child. But she knows that her child is God given, as she was not supposed to be able to carry a child due to some physical problem. When God gives, he is generous and he gives us the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment