Monday, December 12, 2011

(602) The Client by John Grisham

This is my personal favorite of John Grisham. For many years we have owned The Firm and The Client. At some point one trusted friend borrowed The Firm and it was not returned. Now we maintain an up-to-date log of who borrowed what books.

I lost track of how many times I read The Client over the years. Yet each time I read it I noticed new details that I missed in previous readings. For instance during this particular reading I undertook for this blog, I am struck by how well Grisham described the ambivalent feelings Mark had towards the law enforcement groups, the court room personnel, the media sharks and how he reacted to his attorney Reggie Love and Momma Love.

One thing that stood out was how he got back with Detective Klickman by ordering many pizzas and Chinese take-away lunches in the latter's name with the free calls allowed by the Juvenile Detention Center. I laughed even though I have read it before this. Somehow it reminded me of how much spunk American children have in general. During college I did my fair share of baby sitting to earn pocket money.

If you have watched the movie and liked it, it is time to read the book. I am sure you would enjoy all the additional details.

No comments:

Post a Comment