Tuesday, January 31, 2012

(735) Counting her blessings

I met up with a friend from years ago. She just recovered from a urinary operation. A few days after we met, she went to visit her sister-in-law who had double kidney failure. We were very surprised, since the patient was very athletic. That women would play tennis every Monday and Wednesday. She swims for an hour every Tuesday and Thursday. On Fridays she dances. One Saturday she picked up her daughters from piano lessons, they walked into the house and she collapsed at the door way into the sitting room. The very next day, she was on dialysis. The active and seemingly healthy woman was only forty three years old.

My friend shuddered when she related her sister-in-law's shocking collapse. She said her little operation was nothing. She has recovered fully, touch wood. Compared to her sis-in-law, she is very fortunate. After all, she is all of nine years older than she who has to be hooked up to a machine every alternate day. All of us could find blessings to count on, if we choose the correct perspective. My friend counts her health as a blessing that money could not purchase. Her sister-in-law could choose to feel blessed that she is not facing a life-threatening condition. She would live long enough to see her daughters grown. With a little care and pluck, she would be there at there graduations and weddings.

 As for me, I am thankful that there is internet connection where I live, as my children all flown away from the nest, I have readers to write for. I am particularly grateful for friends and family who kept supplying me books and magazines to read, so that I can blog about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment