Thursday, January 5, 2012

(670) Story time

I found what Frank Furedi wrote on page 136 of Reader's Digest Feb 2003 to be invaluable. He suggested passing on our world view to our children through story telling. He said that children love to hear about their parent's childhoods, how grandma met grandpa as well as finding out about themselves. I read somewhere else most of us do not remember about our lives before we turn four. It is true that all my children love to hear about what they did when they were little.

Here I reproduce Furedi's Storytelling tips:-
Keep the story line simple and short
Use a lot of details-"I wore a yellow coat," etc.
Be prepared to answer questions
Don't worry about using words with which children are not familiar
Always give a clear ending
It doesn't need to contain a lesson. It's enough for children to feel part of something real
It needn't be a big event-how you lost a favorite toy or handled a scary situation is great
A photo album is a wonderful prop for getting started

Even though we live in a media filled world, I personally guard my meal times and time spent in the car going places. It is true that the earlier we start sharing our world view with our children, the greater influence we will have in our children's moral education.

No comments:

Post a Comment