Sunday, January 29, 2012

(733) Flags

The other day I was travelling down the old way. I am definitely spatially challenged. My husband reassured me and said that if I should decide to go back and use the highway, follow the green signs. But stick to the blue signs if I want to use the old road. It seemed silly that I have not noticed the color code before.

Since traffic was sparse, we actually went the entire way using the old road. I saw factories flying thread bare flags. Some are even worn to shreds by the weather. There ought to be some rules against folks flying flags day and night year round. It is not respecting our country to do that. Someone I know has relatives running a motorcycle shop in a rural town, the owner dug out his old flag before National day. He was stunned when his customers (of all three races) in the shop told him not to put it up. In the end he walked up and down the road surveying if there are more shops flying the flags or not. Apparently more were not flying that year. So he gave in and kept the flag rolled up in his drawer.

In schools prefects would raise the flag every mornings and the security guard would lower it in the evening before sunset. We know that Japanese factories do that too like clock work. What impressed me is that some American families raise the Star and Stripes every morning in front of their house for as long as the war lasts in the Middle East. That is patriotism!

No comments:

Post a Comment