Friday, January 27, 2012

(726) Rilla of Ingleside by L.M.Montgomery

Elizabeth borrowed the entire Anne series home. She asked me if the original Anne book was my favorite, as it is hers. Without thinking I said that I actually like Rilla, the last book, more than the first. And I can't explain why I like it more than Anne of Green Gable.

Of course I like Anne, who wouldn't. But I like Rilla more. Here's why:

Rilla reminded me a lot about my college mates: they all spent most of their days wanting to look nice, find cute dates, keep amusing boyfriends and hardly think beyond tomorrow. At first I was shocked about how they live or rather dream from day to day. Then I learned more about their backgrounds and understand what a blessing it is to be born with silver spoons. They might appear frivolous, talk like bimbos but in actual fact most were better students than they wanted to admit. It was just not too cool to appear serious.

Just like Rilla, those that I befriended often passed when they were tested. Rilla decided to look after a war orphan and set about dirtying her lovely fingers. One of my floor mates chose to double major and spent her senior year working eighteen hour days. Another decided to get married and left to finish her degree in a state university. A few found their parents struggling to pay their tuition with altered financial circumstances, they found summer jobs and worked hard to chip in their bits.

My eyes were wet when I read of Dog Monday waiting valiantly at the rail way station for his beloved master who went to fight the war in Europe. I was sad when I came to the part where Rilla gave the last letter of Walter to Una. Imagine losing the love of one's life, yet Una had no right to grieve in public. Out of all the other books, I did not like Susan Baker, yet her character was so developed in this last book that I found myself having new respect for her.

At an age where my classmates are actually grandmothers, I am still young at heart and read children's books. I certainly hope that I am not the only old fan of Anne in the internet world.

No comments:

Post a Comment