Saturday, January 28, 2012

(732) Perfect recall


Throughout my life, I have come across three individuals who could retain fully what they hear at will.

I met the first one during my first summer vacation. He was a boy of eleven years old. While he was playing with a Matchbox car, someone read an entire page from the Britanica Encyclopaedia. It took a while to recite it at a normal conversational speed, I assure you. After that the huge volume was placed on my lap. With my finger at the first line first word, I followed as the eleven year old recited from memory word for word what was just read. Unbelievable , isn't it?

Seventeen years later, I was reading a Ladybird reader to my daughter, Heidi, while Cassandra was visiting. Heidi, who loves stories, was paying full attention. Cassandra, a child addicted to TV, wasn't. After reaching a stopping point, I turned to Cassandra and asked,"What did Aunty just read?" I was expecting her to give me a two sentence summary, proving she did half listen to me. Imagine my surprise when she repeated word   for word (without a single mistake) of the five pages I just read. It was Story Time for Seven Year Old, there were many paragraphs in one page as the print was small.

This year, Heidi is college bound. I just found that my new friend Veronica cannot erase what she stored from a conversation. Every detail, names, ages, occupation, likes, dislikes, ... would be recorded in that database brain of hers. Oh dear! She sounds like a one woman FBI squad.

The interesting part is: the eleven year old boy was severely dyslexic. Cassandra had a learning disability, she could not associate an object with its function. And Veronica still displays signs of learning disability as an adult. It does seem that when a person is born with any disadvantage, very often God would compensate with a gift or two. What a merciful and loving God!

* coral from www.aboutmyplanet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment