Tuesday, January 3, 2012

(662) Nelson's secret legacy by Martyn Downer

This article is found in Reader's Digest Jan 2006 on page 90. The photograph of  a diamond encrusted brooch designed as an anchor was eye-catching. Downer valued the jewel at US$175,000. More exciting than the heirloom are authentic letters from Lord Nelson to his best friend, Alexander Davison. Interestingly the descendents of Davison kept letters from both Nelson's wife and mistress to Davison. Even  more valuable than that is a green woven silk purse stained with dried blood containing 21 gold coins. This purse was taken from the dead body of Lord Nelson.

Growing up in the tropics in tiny abodes, I have always been fascinated by attics in America. The oldest article I owned is a square ring from my maternal grandma. I presumed my ancesters were all landless and poverty stricken in the past hundred years. Both my grandma and grandpa on my mother side came to my country in steamship with cloth bundles. My grandma lost her two jade bangles when some luckless robber chose to rob her, who was living from hand to  mouth as a young widow with five young children.

It is interesting to note that China is an economic power house now, no longer poor and back ward. Perhaps in some future year the descendents of my uncle who resides in China may own some expensive and old item passed down the generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment