Sunday, January 22, 2012

(718) Home for vacation


A good friend had two daughters. By the time both went abroad for their college education, my friend traded her detached big house for a more manageable condo. As the chicks flew away from the coop, she adjusted her life style and found new activities.


Then the younger girl came back for Christmas break. Believe it or not! Within the short span of eleven months, mother and daughter actually had quite a fair bit of readjustment to make. The baby of the family is grown. The young lady is used to being mistress of her own time, space and life. Mom finds it difficult to let go completely because her darling is within range of control. I suppose both are glad that holiday will soon be over. Then the young one will get her own life back. The older one also will regain a complete control of her domain.

I wrote the above two paragraphs on Jan 6, 2010. Today is Jan 23, 2012( I think). By now, my youngest has flown the coop since September 2011. Personally I have more free time on week days as she lives in her hostel. She comes back every week end. I enjoy not having to produce home cooked meals on a daily basis. I enjoy less laundry to do. More time to read and to reflect about what to write. Hence you find a lot more responses to all kinds of books lately. It is refreshing to find that I have no empty nest syndrome. I actually find it fun to get my own life back after years of motherhood.

* animal103.gif from myspace.com

No comments:

Post a Comment