Thursday, January 5, 2012

(668) Being fair

The other day I was commenting on the new furniture my friend bought for her returning son. My daughter asked if the mother bought new furniture for the daughter too, the answer is no. I was quick to defend my friend. After all, the mother bought a brand new car for her exclusive use. "Well!" Elizabeth replied,"furniture is more important for a girl. Cars are useful alright. But cars are closer to a boy's heart. If I am her, I would be upset. When the brother returns, he gets to use her car now. But she doesn't get to use his furniture!"

That sets me thinking. It is true to a certain extent. No wonder the son was all smiles but the daughter had a wooden face almost black in color when I went to admire the new deco. To me, the girl has the bigger room. She will continue to use the car, especially when the parents buy another car for the son later. Perhaps my generation lived on a much lower level materially when we were teenagers. I did not expect much from my parents. My children's generation reaps the benefits of our education and hard work. As a result they generally live in the lap of luxury, so much so that I hear of a number who would rather be jobless and stay at home to play computer games after graduation.

This is many years after I decided to be an at home mum and be with my children. All my children are used to second hand furniture and second hand clothes. They have less toys, less pocket money and they learn to work and save towards purchasing a few items they value highly. Now I see that in the long run, it is better this way. They have acquired the habit of budgeting and saving, they are not used to branded goods and expensive items. They see that people and happiness are more important than owning things.

No comments:

Post a Comment