Sunday, January 15, 2012

(702) June



I have quite a few friends called June. There are two that I am particularly fond of. One I knew briefly in college. Years later I heard that she and her husband settled in Rhodesia. Pardon me if I am not quoting the current politically correct name.


The other I have known practically all my life. She is just one of those dear souls whom one wakes up at four am to give thanks for. June in Rhodesia had two sons. June in my country has three. They do not look similar in appearance. However, if I could get a glimpse of their spirit or soul, there must have been some similarities.

They are warm, motherly, caring and they would go the second mile. It is uncanny that both of them took me to new places. The childhood friend, June, used to organise trips to visit nearby places. June of Rhodesia took me to a historically important place. The earlier trips opened up my horizons. The latter trip enabled me to gain an insight into myself. They are equally important but in different ways.

Looking at her choice of country to live in, June of Rhodesia has devoted her life to humanitarian purposes. I wonder if they (June and hubby) were aide workers, UN personnel, missionary, or bible translators. Nevertheless, they chose to live for others than enjoying the affluent and cosmopolitan life style of North America.

My childhood buddy lives among the fleshpots. She collects all kinds of beautiful things and one can relax and enjoy oneself with these objects all around in her opulent mansion. She is like a healing balm among the wounded in war zone. Except there is no real war in the place where we live. Yet in life's battle, one could be wounded and is not conscious of it. Then along come our modern Florence Nightingale, she would tend to the hidden wounds without one being aware of it. Months later, the insensitive one would have a rare insight and finally realise what she did earlier. I was privilege to have been her patient many a time.

Here I want to pay tribute to all the Junes of this world, be it a healer of the heart or the nations.

* children heart.jpg from surgechurch.org

No comments:

Post a Comment