Friday, January 13, 2012

(692) Linux

I have heard about Linux for many years. All I knew is that we can download this free operating system from the internet. Then a person has to program some to customize it to his or her needs.

In the March 2001 issue of Reader's Digest, I read about the creator of Linux: Linus Torvalds. He wrote Linux when he was 21 years old in Helsinki, Finland. He gave it away free. On top of that, he continues to find time to moderate and help a friendly group of on-line folks to direct and expand the free ware further. I find that mind boggling. He was married with two daughters. No where in that article did I find that he was financially free. In fact he still worked at a full time job when the author Fergus Bordewich wrote about him in 2001.

Is he the most generous man in this world? Or are the best things in life often given away free? I certainly feel there is something akin to this in that salvation is given to each of us free. Jesus offered his life up to reconnect every person on earth throughout history to God the father. It is free, I don't have to earn it. Yet, in the days and years that follow my acceptance of this forgiveness, I am still counting my cost. In fact, it is in discerning God's will that I decided to make full use of my writing skills to tell you about me, my family, my hometown, and about God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment