Thursday, January 19, 2012

(712) Speech Therapy 2

This is a follow up with blog 588. School has started. The mum was sharing about how she was glad that her daughter had a ride that day, hence she need not go through the stressful routine of picking the child up from kindergarten.

I was slightly taken aback with the comment. If the girl is having school phobia, she ought to put up no resistance at going home. I have brought up quite a few children and I have made my share of mistakes. Looking back, I thought Denise's acting up was purely behavioral problems. With the advantage of hind sight, now I tend to think that if I had the clarity of mind to take her for a private evaluation, A lot of the later difficulties could have been avoided.

It is easy to attribute a child's acting up to frustration, and to blame the frustration on the inability to communicate (late speech). If it is indeed the case, then such problems should clear up completely when normal speech is attained. I suppose if the child talks and can express herself well, but still give the parents hell on school runs, both going and returning; I honestly think it is time to go for a professional evaluation without labeling the child in any school system.

It is important to find out what is wrong, then we can have the knowledge to help us overcome precise problems. I honestly think that by burying one's head in the sand and hope that everything will work out with faith and prayers does not solve the underlying problems in every case. Though by saying that, I know I will get shot down in many church circles. Which is why I have a blog to voice my opinions without setting  myself up for target practice! If you find this interesting and helpful, I thank God for the internet and technology.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment