Sunday, January 22, 2012

(717) Forcing children to eat all types of food



There is this neighbour of mine who forces her children to eat vegetables. So far she has been having success with all her three children.


Yesterday I mentioned this fact to a friend. Both of us had to admit that we did not force ours. We choose to encourage instead. Then she asked me if I would do differently now. I answered no.


Since then I have been wondering why would I not change tactic now? It was not an easy question to answer. I perceive that if one forces children to eat things they naturally would avoid, then meal time would mean a stressful time. It may be that if I don't give choices to my children, they may grow up used to being forced to eat things they don't like. Would that carry to other areas of their life? Would they get used to being influenced by others to do what they hate just to buy approval from people they like or love? I have no pet answers to these questions. Therefore it is safer to give myself and the children under my care  the benefit of the doubt. I value well balanced individuals who can say no to others rather than being easily forced to go against their wishes.



* blue flower from herman-uwe.de

No comments:

Post a Comment