Sunday, January 22, 2012

(714) A car story

The other day I took a taxi in Pahang but it has a Melaka number plate. I asked the driver and he told me how he came to buy the car.

This Proton saga was a 2006 model. The first owner bought it in 2008 at $26,000. For whatever reason, it was stored for quite a while and not used. My taxi driver saw it in a second hand car dealer. All the seats were wrapped up and pristine. The car was unused. The meter showed the car had been driven 3 Km. The asking price was $22,000. Since it was considered a 4-year old car, the potential buyer negotiated the price down to $19,000. He changed the radiator to something that would not overheat too easily, put in a decent radio, and painted the car up to become a taxi. Presto! It became a good work horse that worked well.

By the time I was sitting in this car, he had been using it for almost two years. Apart from changing the timing belt and the normal servicing, the car did not give him any problem. He agreed with me that it was fortune smiling at him the day he saw his car.

No comments:

Post a Comment