Sunday, February 26, 2012

(800) One kind word warms three winters


One Christmas break I tagged along with my Indian friend to an upper class woman's family home. It was a three story town house not that far away from the White House.


We had a few days of fun, sight seeing and giggling over lunches. Then the blow fell. The room I was staying in was needed for relatives over the Christmas celebration. The three of us college girls had a pow-wow. We called motels and calculated that the cheapest accommodation would blow all my savings before I could move to Maryland for my internship. Next, I started calling everyone I knew in the tri-state area. It turned out that my deep fears were unfounded. The mum of my biology classmate said I could take the couch in her kitchen alcove for the eleven nights. Everything worked out well after that.


Years later, I visited this family again. While I was recounting the crisis that brought me to her house, this dear lady told me that as they are a DC family, it was very often they accommodate cousins and friends who came to visit the Capitol and other sights. To her generous heart it was only an extra mouth to feed, which was not a bad thing as there was plenty of food over the festive season. May God bless precious folks like her who are kind to foreign students.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment