Wednesday, February 8, 2012

(767) The ministry of matching excess with needs

I heard about an independent missionary couple moving from a four-story mansion to a condominium. I wonder what this couple of former business people were going to do with their old furniture. When my friend went to visit them, I tagged along to find out.

After my children are grown, I volunteer in a mission organization. The mission head office situates in a residential area within walking distance of a rail line. It is a double-story building with a little land by the side for parking. Downstairs is the office with all the amenities of a home. Upstairs are three big rooms: the most spacious used for meetings, the other two furnished very simply as men and women dormitory.

Since I double as a recycling person, I normally get to hear about things that people want to give away. Very often, there is seldom a match. Folks who lost a mum did give away a houseful of furniture and other things. But at that time I did not hear of anyone needing household things. I heard of a single mother needing a single bed, but for those few months no beds were to be gotten. Six months ago I learned that my dear mission organisation was thinking of changing the more worn out single mattresses. After long deliberation, they decided to spend the money servicing the air-conditioners instead. Instead of buying new mattresses, they probably rotated them: moving the well used ones to the upper bunks and the less used ones to the lower bunks. At that time I remember praying to God that He will lead me to the exact people who could help.

When training is held, the female dormitory could be full as participants who flew in prefer to stay in house than live in hotels. Other than that, it is not often that either dormitory has more than one or two visitors at a time. There was a period of weeks when a family who serve in Papua came to live upstairs on visa runs. They came from a European country and it is prohibitively expensive for a family of seven to fly home. After all they just returned from a furlough less than a year ago. So we have Mr. Missionary all set up in the office downstairs doing his computer work. Mrs. Missionary set up housekeeping upstairs in the female dormitory looking after her five children, they ranged from age 14 to six months. She home schools them. Her children are tri-lingual: they are proficient in English as they are studying for O-levels, they all speak their mother tongue of German among themselves and they speak whatever dialect the indigenous people of Papua speak.

I find myself explaining to my potential benefactress how it must have been difficult for this Mrs Missionary to house keep with insufficient furniture in the women's dorm. They must have live off suit cases as the wardrobe was tiny. There was one desk, but no shelves. I wonder where she placed her children's books and learning supplies. As we talked, I realize that this business woman turned missionary has a four story business building as well. She could probably spare a few office cupboards with doors which could supply counter space if the dormitory is big enough to hold them. She has quite a few six feet double mattresses which are quite new to give away. She actually suggested that she would make a trip to see these dorms and  think of which of her possessions that she could spare would make the dorms more serviceable.

Every Christian is entrusted with the Great Commission of spreading the gospel to the uttermost ends of the earth. Those who are called should go. Those who have been blessed with wealth should give generously. Everyone could pray for God's kingdom to be established on earth. I am using my persuasive tongue to talk others into sharing their extras with the ever short of funding outfits. I am also using my language and computer abilities to tell you about it, perhaps you too would like to help in your little corner of the world. The benefits of doing all these are plain: I experience no empty nest syndrome when every single one of my children left home. While my peers complain about menopausal symptoms, I thank God that I experience none. I am simply too busy looking into how I can be of help and be a source blessing with my very limited resources and contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment