Saturday, February 25, 2012

(788) Street of the Five Moons by Elizabeth Peters

It is not often that we find a writer with a PhD in Egyptology from the Oriental Institute of University of Chicago.

Here I have to confess my long lasting fascination with all things from Egypt since I was thirteen. When I first set eyes on a death mask in a oversize folio in my school library, I was smitten. Since then, I would borrow all kinds of books linked to Egyptology and read them from front to back. Now I realize that my interest has nothing to do with history. What fascinated me was the beauty of those art objects. It did not matter they serve no useful purpose. It did not matter that I have to be content with color photographs and descriptions. I am happy just to admire their unearthly forms that could easily transport me to my imaginary ancient world.

If I had stayed on in the United States, I could have snared myself a few more degrees. But then I would have missed out on getting married and bringing up children. I could easily imagine that I take the path that Peters took: from the academia to the world of thriller writing. That did not happen, instead, I became a blogger. I have great respect for Peters and I feel a certain "connectedness" with her.

I love her heroine, Vicky Bliss. I read Dan Brown's few books on medieval based adventures and enjoyed them thoroughly. But personally I like Vicky's style more. She seemed human, fallable, believable and endearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment