Wednesday, February 1, 2012

(742) Running from fire crackers

I met an American missionary who did a visa run by visiting my country during Chinese New Year. They particularly wanted to be away from China because of the non-stop fire crackers. Here we still get a fair amount of noise on the eighth night (at midnight) of the Chinese New Year. But to him, it is nothing compared to what they endured last year.

From what I heard, the Hokkiens (a particular dialect group from southern China, usually noted for their good business skills) celebrate the ninth "day"(the first thirty minutes, anyway) by praying and lighting fire crackers. Hundreds of years ago, their ancestors were in retreat and hid among the sugar canes plants. Somehow their enemies missed them so they live to reproduce the hundreds of thousands of Hokkiens everywhere.

Here in my hometown, he saw other races than Chinese taking part in the lion dancing. It was something new for him. I know it is strange to see Hindus and Moslems donning the lion costumes and dancing on poles. But I suppose there is nothing wrong for other races wanting to learn the ancient arts of lion dancing. Businesses and rich households would pay handsomely to have the lions bring prosperity to them in the new year.

We talked about the tradition of throwing oranges into the sea on the last day (15th) of Chinese New Year. He would have flown out before that day. You see, it is the day that the singles, who wish to find their life partners, go to the shore to throw in oranges to make wishes. As I have never live near the shore, I certainly did not hear of this custom until my children were born.

It is interesting that meeting a foreigner in the festive period helps me see my customs in new light.

No comments:

Post a Comment