Sunday, February 26, 2012

(798) Post natal blues


After my first child was born, I had post natal blues for close to nine months. That coincided with the period I was looking after him 24 hours a day for 7 days a week.

At one point I was so depressed that I felt like a total failure. I was hardly sleeping because of  my vain attempt to breast feed him. Looking back it was hardly possible because I was so stressed up. Being a total  wreck due to exhaustion, I was hardly eating. Nothing seemed to taste or even smell the same at that point of time. Within weeks, I could put on close fitting clothes I wore prior to my pregnancy.

I remember telling my girl friend that I could not understand why I felt like going to sleep and not wake up. I have a good husband, I love my baby and I have a bright future to look forward to. Yet why was it that life was such a drudgery?

Thank God for good friends who sat down and listened to all my 'woes'. At the end she told me to get a full time nanny and go back to work part-time. I did not look back since that day when I implemented her advice. Sure, I started to wean him when I went back to work. I don't think his health suffer any from settling into my nanny's family with children to play with and two women to cook delicious food for him to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment