Sunday, February 26, 2012

(799) Dream comes true (icing on the cake)



When I gave up my lecturing post to relocate to where my husband's new job was, just about everyone near and dear had negative comments to make. What they predicted came true. I could not find any equivalent career path. Exactly as they put it, I had committed a career suicide.


In the intervening years, I took up challenges that God brought to my doorstep.I listened to my neighbours and encouraged them whenever they needed building up. I volunteered at the Stroke Centre.When I heard that  someone in the same residential area needed an extra pair of hands to help a special child in therapy, I became that needed pair of hands.  When my daughter brought friends home, I fed them and helped with their homework.Without meaning to, I became an instrument of help. It was satisfying doing all those things but they did not bring much rewards financially.


Then I had to move back to the city. Life is of course very different in the city compared to a small town. Here we find that folks actually went on yearly vacations and blew a hundred and twenty thousands in one trip.  I found myself telling God how I wish I could afford to take my child far away for once.


Shortly after, I was invited to visit Switzerland by a friend's friend. Now, there was no way I could save up airfare for two people within a few months. Even though I thought it was impossible, I still mentioned about the invitation to my mother. Apparently, my mum remembered years ago my dad brought back a calender with the view of the Matterhorn. I (probably aged five) told my siblings that one day I would travel to see the snow mountain.  Based on that, my mum offered to pay for my air ticket. My friend, the would be travel companion, secured a few low fare tickets. And so I was able to take my youngest to the beautiful country. To think, the King of Kings (my God) actually cared enough to grant a wish. It was just a wish for something extra. After God put a spread of a feast in front of me, He gave me a nice piece of cake topped with the best ice-cream.

* sea-animals 4260 from hickerphoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment