Saturday, February 4, 2012

(753) Anne of Green Gables by L.M.Montgomery

When my niece bought Anne of G. G., I first read it in my late thirties. Don't ask me why I never come across it before. The Good Lord knows how I haunted every library within walking distance most of my life. In my teenage years, I used to walk miles to borrow and return book from private individuals too on a weekly basis. The fact that I have never seen or heard of the Green gable series, it probably came of my only being able to read any English book at age 14. I am still trying valiantly to catch up.

Between my niece and my daughter Elizabeth, they acquired the entire series within two years. And I won't be exaggerating to say that we have not stopped reading one or the other book just about every year since. My sister-in-law could never figure out why crazy females like us could literally wear out the Anne series. She thought once a book is read well, a sane person would only dream of reading it six or seven years later, when a person has forgotten it.

Well, all eight books are lying neatly in a paper bag now. Elizabeth spent her holidays running through the entire series. I just could not resist the temptation: I read the first book again. It is a most delightful story. I enjoyed the beautiful descriptions of Prince Edward Island. I was one of the last generations of my country folks who had to memorize lots about USA and Canada for examination purposes(GCE O level). All of my children learned little about geography beyond age 15. If I were to win a hundred thousand dollars tomorrow for a tour, I would not hesitate to choose PEI as a sole destination.

I guess the real reason why I never tire of reading about Anne is that I used to be just like her, I could probably talk the ears off a donkey. No! I was not as imaginative like her. I was far more logical. I went for arguments, debates and expositions. I was most fortunate to have a grandma who was old and mellow enough to indulge in my cheeky way of talking to adults as if they were my peers. My mother was timid and silent. My grandma was kind of overbearing. But she was fair to be able to admit that what I said made a lot of sense. She used to say that I should be a lawyer. It was obvious that I take after my father in my persuasiveness, logical and straight talk. I was fortunate to be born not any earlier, but just in time for the free education offered to all children in this nation.

I worked on a summer reading project of the Little House on the Prairie series while in college. But I love Anne much better than Laura Ingalls. Anne is more exciting, she has much spunk and I particularly like the fact that she is not predictable. For girls' books, I vote Anne of Green Gable as the top one.

No comments:

Post a Comment