Saturday, February 25, 2012

(793) Chinese Proverb/ Cat Tales 16


There is a proverb that I heard from my grandma. It translates as :

To adopt a swine brings poverty,To adopt a dog brings wealth, Adopting a cat brings mourning cloth.

Living in a city, I can't imagine finding piglets on the street. Just a few months ago a friend who found a pedegree puppy at her doorstep was looking for a home for it. And just a few days back there were three cutest kittens wandering near my gate. One was completely black, the second a ginger colour and the last a mash of black and white. Some kind souls must have found homes for them, as I haven't seen them for two days already.

My daughter has a friend who keeps spiders as pets. A former headmistress' son and daughter-in-law keep a lizard from South America. Pets are becoming items from an exotic species catalogue. I won't debate about personal preference as that varies greatly. But I must state that on a cold winter's day, there is something special about coming home to a crackling warm fire place with a homey cat washing her face.

The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your life stock -- the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks.

Cat Dog Hybrid.jpg from cvcl.mit.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment