Monday, February 13, 2012

(773) Lilies of the fields 2

When Elizabeth applied for a pre-university scholarship a few years ago, we prayed for warm clothes. The equivalent of two suitcases came. I washed them batch by batch and stored them with moth balls.

She went for two interviews but in the end she did not win the coveted scholarship which would enable her to study in a Scandinavian country. I kept all the clothes just in case she has a chance to go abroad. For universities, she was accepted in my alma mater in USA with generous aid. She was rejected by Hong Kong University but she was accepted by the most prestigious public university in my country. While we have the once-off funding to send her for the first year, we are not quite sure we could swing a US education without having her incur in debts. So after much prayers, we decided that  a bird in hand that is affordable is worth more than one far away. Accordingly she enrolled in the nearby university.

What am I going to do with the four drawerful of winter and autumn clothes? When I saw Elizabeth's friend wearing  a knitted sweater in her freezing(it was a new building with powerful air-conditioners) church, I went straight to the point and asked if she would like to be the happy owner of similar sweaters of different hues. She was delighted with my suggestion. Last night I actually emptied almost two drawers and packed a boxful of such items for her.

Elizabeth suggested that maybe God sent the clothes for her friend through us. Well, that could be so. But being a practical person, I was careful to keep every piece that Elizabeth had worn in Hong Kong and Chiangmai when we visited those places in December of previous years.

* Name of this blog came from Luke 12:27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not,they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment