Sunday, April 29, 2012

(916) Quite Honestly by John Mortimer

I find this story hilarious! One would not imagine the well brought up daughter of a Bishop entering into a spate of crime and ended up with a three year sentence in jail.

On the other hand I remember the fact that I have seen professors stoned out of their senses on Saturday mornings. I have even unknowingly watered marijuana plants among the collection of potted plants as a favor to my resident assistant (person in charged of a certain area of a dormitory). Then I have seen stolen road signs given the pride of place in many dormitory rooms, the owners being upper middle class young ladies with brain, charm and much intelligence.

For young people who did not need to struggle hard for a college education, it was all good fun to do anything to induce an adrenalin high. But truth be told, few go to the dire straits like Lucy to be identified with her beloved. Yet there is a redeeming factor, while Lucy sank down really low, her blue eye boy was clawing his way out of the low life. The story ended with their roles reversed: boy wonder meeting and leading her away from crime when she was released.

Sometimes I wonder idly about marriages. Is it true that we tend to marry someone very different from each of us? Through years of iron sharpening iron, do we become more rounded and mature with our spouses? Precisely because I am a rather serious person who can live on ideas, my husband has a zany sense of humor and is rather practical. Perhaps if Lucy sticks to her chosen one in the book long enough, both of them would become better human beings at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment