Saturday, April 14, 2012

(883) House Rules by Jodi Picoult

It was an emotional experience reading a second book by Picoult in close succession.

In House Rules, we have a single mother who was struggling to bring up two boys, the elder boy was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. The Aspie brother displayed an obsessive interest in crime scene investigation. He was somehow involved when his social skills tutor, a female graduate student, disappeared and later found killed. Much of the book related what happened in the court as this Aspie boy was charged with murder.

I suppose I am a typical woman who spent the greater part of my adult life bringing up my children. I have much to be thankful for that none of my children displays any hall mark Asperger's symptoms. It was much easier in comparison to deal with mild to mid range symptoms of dyslexia.

After reading this book, I begin to understand why my cousin was feeling so low when he told me there was no chance for his only daughter to enter his alma mater (Stanford University) as she was diagnosed with Autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment