Saturday, April 21, 2012

(900) Rag Nymph by Catherine Cookson

This is a novel based in the Victorian period. A lot of the prevailing conditions mentioned in the book no longer apply in the western world. Yet if we are to travel to some rural communities in many countries, some of what we read about in this book holds true today.

There is  a Thai restaurant in my neighborhood. The owners are a lady of Thai Muslim origin and her husband, a local Muslim man. They are assisted by the lady's sister from Southern Thailand. The owners have a few sons and a rather beautiful daughter. One day I happened to order some food during a quiet lull and chatted with them. From what they said, it was a good thing that this good looking girl was born in this big city, she will be able to study and get a good job before considering marriage.

If she had been born in the rural countryside of southern Thailand, her decent looks would mean that her parents would have to quickly choose a good man for her to marry by the time she hits 15 or so. They could not keep on turning suitors away. Sooner or later, one spurned suitor would kidnap and force her to submit, perhaps to a man three times her age.  

When I heard that, I realize how lucky that I was not born in any part of the world that would treat me like chattel and a baby machine. Instead, I have the free choice of career, academia, family or single hood. For that, I am eternally grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment