Sunday, April 1, 2012

(850) Julie by Catherine Marshall

This is the last book Catherine Marshall worked on before her death. I first came to know of her when I started reading the book in which she collected her husband's prayers as a chaplain to the Senate of USA in Washington DC. At that time, I was a free thinker. The prayers must have sounded sincere and genuine to attract a skeptic like me.

After my graduation, I lost my access to the book. It was kept in a bookcase in my college chapel. I started looking for the book wherever(libraries, book stores, even friends' book cases) I went. A friend's friend heard about my search and kindly gave me A Man Called Peter. It was in reading this book one night when I could not sleep, subsequently the next morning I counted seven things I have read about being mentioned by the Pastor in a church service that I realized that the Almighty God was "talking" to me.

I read the other novel written by Marshall, Christy, many years ago. If I can trust my vague impressions, Julie is a better paced story. I like the refreshing way she crafted her story with a family facing difficulties financially during an economic depression. They survived a flood, a dam break, commercial attacks, hoodlums, fire, and co-ordinate verbal and written attacks as a small town newspaper publisher. As a family, they weathered illness and nervous breakdown of the father and the tragic death of an only son. It is wonderful to have a happy ending. Julie married her true love, lived long and have her children and grandchildren around her.

No comments:

Post a Comment