Thursday, April 26, 2012

(910) Demolition Angel by Robert Crais

This is a new topic for me. Apart from the grisly images I saw on international news, I know nothing about bombs. But I do know a Thai lady who traveled and work here as a cook to avoid the bombs in her home state. I realize how fortunate I am to live in a peaceful environment.

Although knowing that the author changed many details to deter the general public from gathering real information in bomb making or dismantling, it is still exciting to read about the life and death in dealing with explosives. The closest I came in dealing with dangerous chemical was in working with toxic chemicals in the fume chamber in the chemistry laboratory many years ago. I was rather clumsy by nature, there was a hole caused by a drop of concentrate acid in my lab coat and a corresponding white spot in my old pair of jeans.

Another thing I could relate to in Carol Starkey is her nightmares. Even though I have had no similar trauma like her experience in surviving an explosion, I had lived with nightmares throughout my childhood. Looking back, it was from unresolved hurts and nameless fears acquired through years of struggling against learning disabilities that I didn't know I had then. It is easy to pooh-pooh and discount emotional trauma, but such hurts are real and caused long term consequences. Of course God offers healing, but it took many years to peal away many layers of scars to get at the root cause. It was not easy to arrive at the current freedom I enjoy in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment