Sunday, April 8, 2012

(880) Birds of a feather flock together


I went for a conference. There I met three ladies. I told one of them that I blog. This is a one of a kind blog that I do not disclose my blog name to any one (whether friends or strangers) from my country. My aim in blogging is not to have high hits. But if you are attracted to my writings, then chances are that you or someone dear to you struggles with some learning difficulties.

Let me tell you about lady number one. We will call her Martha. Martha related to me that she was a good  student in elementary school. After her big sister started taking her to Sunday School, she started to strive for excellence. Please note that in her school(age 6 to 12) the medium of instruction is Mandarin. By the time she went on to high school, she went with her friends to a Government school where the medium of instruction is the national language. Throughout her years of education, she was exposed to three languages.

Thereafter she worked progressively harder but actually gotten more behind in her studies. Her grades in all language related subjects dropped year after year. She knew that God had given her intelligence, but even with hours of daily intensive work, she could not do well. Today she volunteers in Church and lives very simply on love gifts. What she said struck me: "If  I had had the fore sight at age 12 to choose to enter a private school where the medium of instruction is in Mandarin, today I would have become a different person."

Remember my two articles on Genetic variations? If God is willing, there will be seven of them by the time I finish writing. Just out of curiosity I asked her about three and she said yes to one of them. Then I know that it was not by chance that we met. I suspect she was dyslexic but possess gifts that she has not discovered yet. While I was asking questions and telling her bits of information that would help her to successfully search for her rightful heritage, the conversation  attracted a second lady.

This second person is a young fresh graduate. From her few questions I can sense that she was fishing for information. Of course it is difficult to guess correctly when the info seeker does not disclose any clue. Time was short and I simply mentioned that I blog and only those who are really interested would search by keywords to hit my blog site. I mentioned that if I choose to, I could attempt to write in such a way that even the person being written about might not be certain that he or she had been featured in my writings. However, in this case I want her to be sure to know that this article is written for her, just in case she went home to search for my writings in cyberspace.

The third person also was drawn into the discussion. I could see that there was great desire in her for self discovery. Later she told me that she suspected that she probably was mildly autistic when she was young. I pointed her to the bible where it says, "seek and you shall find." and disclosed briefly how God led me step by step to discover my disabilities (most of which I had over come by age 21) in order to claim my gifts. For emotional disturbances, the solution is 1. daily bible reading
                                                          2. prayer
                                                          3. singing spiritual songs
                                                          4. scripture meditation
                                                          5. scripture memory

Once they have started on the journey of discovery, God will lead them on. I may not be able to do much for each of them. But at the right time in the right place, I hope to point the right person either to God or if the person is already walking with God on the path of self discovery, I may be able to encourage her and point her to the next marker. But only God can lead her to where she desired and was supposed to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment