Thursday, April 5, 2012

(870) The Hand of God

Since my move from Silver City to where I am now, I have had one student learning English for a few months a few years ago. He was an ex-patriot employee from Japan.

Last December I went to visit my neighbor's sister and ended up on the floor playing with her only son who is rather lonely. Before I left that house, the hostess asked me to consider tutoring the boy in Chinese. To be honest, my strongest language is English now. But of course I still know enough to teach a six year old my mother tongue.

I bounced the idea around my over heated head for quite a few weeks. This idea is very exciting to me, I even planned some games to improve his eye-hand co-ordination. From playing with him "hit the box with an eraser", I realized he is at least two years behind in eye-hand co-ordination. Teaching was and is still my passion. By now I know, if I am allowed to teach, I will not find time to write. It is definitely much more fun and satisfying to teach than to write. When I am teaching children, I see improvements weekly. Now when I diligently write, my only feedback is statistics. I naturally enjoy the former much more, given a choice.

Guess, here I have to confess that I really do not have a choice anymore. I know my current assignment from on high is to write, not to teach. But I still tried to ask God to let me teach this child for just a few months. He did not say yes or no for a few days. So I asked again. The bible said to seek, knock and ask, right? The answer came as an impression when I was scrubbing floor. As I sensed the impression, I asked that if God is the one behind the message, that he would grant me peace and certainty that it was him speaking to me. As peace transcends my being and I became more certain day by day that God did tell me,"Now what did you lack these six years?" My answer was, "God, you supplied everything my children and I needed for all these years, I cannot complain. I am most thankful. But if I don't teach this child and save up some money, this year I don't seem to be going anywhere out of my country, and I really would like to save up some money to travel to Thailand to visit a friend and encourage her in a difficult time of her life."

The following week, my friend with whom I was planning the visit to Thailand told me that she would cover my air ticket when she books hers. I was overjoyed. I know that I could stay in my Thai friend's house and she would definitely feed me. Therefore I will need very little spending money. Thank God that my currency is still bigger than Thai Baht.

Two weeks after that, a contact gave my husband two coupons for a paid trip to China. My husband was excited but he prayed  and put out a fleece to see if we should book the air tickets as suggested. He got his answers within thirty six hours. It was a go - so he promptly chose the cheapest fares and booked two tickets. After the contact confirmed that we did proceed, she passed an envelope to my husband. When he came home, he found a cheque of $1,000. We were surprised, he quickly called and asked if a mistake had been made. But, interestingly enough, the money came from probably the person who gave the coupons, it is meant for those who would make use of the coupons as spending money in China. I was speechless. God is indeed good! He works in mysterious ways. He also has a great sense of humor. My last trip to China was eleven years ago. Each time different people challenged me to teach English short-term in China, I always respond positively and pray for open doors. So far, three doors closed tightly these eleven years. Now I am much excited, why is it that he suddenly created a trip to China out of absolutely nothing, of all places, which he denied me entry for eleven long years?      

No comments:

Post a Comment