Tuesday, April 3, 2012

(856) Collecting homework

Elizabeth's junior started on a teaching job while waiting for her examination result. According to Elizabeth, she has a hard time getting homework out of her pupils.

I have had that problem too, at least right up until the first college level English class I taught. I recall the first time I received payment for teaching: I was a thirteen year old teaching a ten year old. My mother's friends knew that I was transitioning well from Chinese medium into English and the National language. One of her friends sent her son to be tutored in English. He was taller than me probably weighed 1.5 times my weight. As long as I don't assign too much homework, he obliged by doing some. If I got too ambitious, he did nothing at home.

To overcome this, I pushed him as much as possible during the hour I had with him. For every page of undone homework, he would rather skip 50 times for me. Honestly, he probably become quite fit doing penance rather than improving much in English. One thing I remember, he finally could handle simple singular and plural nouns and verbs-to-be during the final week, after being drilled for about six months. From me, he was sent to a retired disciplinary teacher. After that, his family moved away.

No comments:

Post a Comment