Tuesday, April 3, 2012

(852) Strong Medicine by Arthur Hailey

This book was written after Overload. Like one or two other Hailey books I read, it is well researched and a good read.

I like the heroine he created, Celia Jordan. She belonged to the new group of women who desired both family life and a meaningful career. By good planning and sheer strength of will, she managed to do both well.

Closer to home, I don't see many examples like her. On the contrary, I see powerful woman who may be able to purchase expensive residential homes, one for each child when the youngest is merely ten year old; but her children were spoiled rotten. I also see successful career women who, at a certain point, decided to quit their high flying positions to concentrate on their children. It is a good thing they could fall back on their husbands who earned well.

But I suppose those women in my home towns hired the cheapest foreign maid available, one really cannot expect maids from very rural areas in dirt poor countries to be able to take one's responsibilities during one's long working hours. Celia and her husband actually hired and paid for a husband and wife team to run their home. When they paid the right candidates well enough and won their loyalty, they were served well. Of course we need to bear in mind the fact that Celia is a fictitious character.

No comments:

Post a Comment