Friday, December 28, 2018

(1071) Sprains and fractures

Two months back, a friend of mine fell down and had to be wheel chair bound for 50 over days. A few days after the friend no 2 fell and moved around on two crutches for at least 30 days. Five days ago friend no 3 fell and was in a full splint, overdid the moving up and down stairs and now is in bed 24 hours a day.

All three are wonderful persons, perhaps a notch too friendly and helpful. Friend no 1 was busy organising some adventure camp for a big group of folks. Friend no 2 was a busy career woman with four children. Friend no 3 was running round organising a perfect Christmas celebration. They are all overworked and generally has too much on their platter to tend to.

Nature is good at providing rest for the weary. In a sprain, at least a week or two of resting on the sofa would help force the person involved to slow down. In a fracture, all activities ceased and the person has to involve others in helping the invalid to tend to daily necessities.

I think of crutches, walking frames, ice packs, disposable diapers... that the invalids use in the sick rooms. When my mum fell down three years ago, I practically lived in the hospital for the two operations and the next few days after the anaesthesia wore off. For months after that, I was at my brother's house early morning till after 5 pm. Little did I know that experience came in helpful  later. I was there wheeling my friend no 3 into the hospital emergency department. A few days after her condition worsened, I went up to her bedroom and helped with advice and tips both for the patient and her niece. It is ironic that all and any experience is beneficial in some ways, no matter how sad or tiring it might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment