Monday, December 3, 2018

(1042) Stress and falling hair

When my niece was facing her Cambridge equivalent exam, her long hair fell heavily. My sister-in-law was alarmed enough to take her to her company doctor.

At the beginning of this year, I was working at arranging my manuscript for my second book. In my head I was telling myself that by the time the second book physically arrives, I would then start translating my father's essay on his family's humble beginnings as immigrants in this country. I know fully well there are two places where I could recognise every character but fail to understand the proverbs or the historical stories he referred to. Well, I simply have to search for an expert who is well read who could tell me what those characters mean. By the time my final manuscript went to the printer, my hair started falling. It was frightening! At the shower twice the normal amount fell. While dry sheet wiping, more hair showed up than dust.

At some point, I realised it was caused by the impending plan to tackle the essay. Since God already paid for the translation of the eight folktales, he will pay for the reverse of the essay. I thank God that my translator is as good in Chinese as English. For what I need now is Chinese to English translation, which is not common at all. I went on to photo copy my dad's manuscript since I have only one copy. The third book will be my tribute to him, he is a much better writer than I but he had spent all his life making a living for his children. He said that writing could not make a viable means of earning a living. But I suppose I am far more fortunate than him, I did not live from hand to mouth. I serve a living God who provides. If He says publish, I dare not hide my work. I still am rather uncomfortable with playing the role of an authoress. I much rather less people know I write books than more. So you won't find me promoting my books. Let others sell them. I still operate as a wall flower. After all, lowly grass won't be uprooted by a hurricane, but tall trees would. Here I can say what my heart yearns to say, since I stay anonymous, no one can accuse me of showing off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment