Wednesday, December 19, 2018

(1061) Tears

I visited a friend with my husband yesterday. When she saw my latest book and heard that she and her pet were the inspiration of my creation, she burst into tears.

Folks smiled, frowned, asked funny questions ... when they found out I published. None had cried. That was totally unexpected. I had no idea her pet passed on to the happy hunting ground. Apparently she just talked about her darling when my husband what sap her about the visit. The day before, her mum had pressed her about writing a book to remember her pet.

On top of the timing of our visit, her story started on page 55. Unbeknown to me, five had been the favourite number of her pet. Now, that almost blew my mind. To think, my editor actually attempted to rearrange my sectional order prior to printing, had I listened to her advice, there would be no way that Prince's story would fall on page 55. Now my stubborn insistence actually produced a result like a departed pet coming back to reassure the grieving owner that it is ok, quite ok.

We talked for hours about all the wonderful memories of that remarkable 17 years she had with her dear pet. I suggested she taped down all her memories and send it to a ghost writer. But I warned her she would need editors, a publisher, proof-readers and maybe a designer. Publishing would open doors to speaking engagements. Speaking would entail publicity. Later on it may lead to broadcasting, since she is bubbly and is ideal for that medium of communication. One should not venture into such arena without due consideration of possibilities. After all, it is a pathway that is progressive and no return. We parted with her promise to collect all her photos and videos on the topic at hand as a first step. After that she would record everything she could remember. Talking about undue influence, there is nothing like bringing out that special story out of every person who yearns to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment