Thursday, December 6, 2018

(1049) Recovering from drug

Elizabeth saw Uncle Jon doing a few electrical repairs in church and called him in to help with our leak. We ended up commissioning him to move our water filter to a new position and create a new direct supply to the washing machine.

He told us about how God turned his life around, from drug taking to serving God in a rehab centre. It was fascinating to me, as I lost a childhood friend to heroin. My deceased neighbourhood friend actually stayed with my family in my Junior High years. Keong's mum was hoping that getting him away from bad influence might save him, it did not. My family moved like twenty miles from the old neighbourhood to some new housing area. His mum transferred him to my brothers' school and have him board with us. His descent to living in the street was merely delayed. Keong went from drug to rehab many rounds, he was in and out of prison. Finally he died in some back lane of the Chow Kit area of knife wounds. He was twenty seven years old. At his funeral, I could not recognise him, he was old looking and much of skin and bones left. Actually he was the best looking one of the old neighbourhood group of young men.

Jon is of the opinion that once an addict is free of the habit, he must serve God and stay on in the Centre. Else after five, fifteen or twenty five years, one could relapse. Of course, these days, folks take amphetamine as it is much easier to produce than other drugs.   

No comments:

Post a Comment