Saturday, December 15, 2018

(1056) Full Circle

My son told me that he had been reading up on early childhood education. Regarding dyslexia, he thinks his English teacher had been instrumental in giving him the best therapy by making him and his class go through a nine-month discipline of writing cursive sentences with fountain pen one page at a time with designing and colouring self chosen colourful designs at the bottom of each exercise page. The exercise book chosen has multicolour parallel lines designed for penmanship. He was nine years old then.

I came from six years of Chinese education. Nevertheless, I remember going through an entire academic year of that when I was in Standard 4, at ten years old. Of course at that time I hated it. I would rather spend the time chasing my brothers' kites. There was hardly any cars at that era(in the 1960s), the entire neighbourhood belonged to the children. We roamed the place seeking stones, leaves, and would climb trees to get rambutans(a tropical fruit) and had been chased by guard dogs. Well, one was young and lithe and could flee at lightning speed. What are a few painful welts bestowed by caning because Mum was upset by the tears in one's only pair of pants. I had a fun childhood, full of excitement and original clean fun made up by our fertile mind of unusual creativity. Now that I am old enough to be called grandma by strangers in Borneo, I see how all those additional tasks and training I went through helped me to become what I am today.

Fast forward half a century, now I hear that folks in the United Kingdoms actually are going back to simple penmanship to train the brain in making fine tune connections. Well, life has run a full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment