Monday, December 3, 2018

(1041) Autoimmune disorder

I just read in MIT News Nov/Dec 2018 page 4 that Glaucoma could be caused by an autoimmune response.

During my last visit to a Government Hospital, I met a mother and daughter team. Since that afternoon was a Rheumatism Clinic, I automatically assumed that the mother came for a check up. It was, surprisingly speaking, the daughter who has an autoimmune disease.

A usual check up meant a wait of two to three hours, if not longer. Patients had plenty of time to read, to play with hand phone or talk with friendly fellow patients. I gathered that the mother is hale and hearty, she was a former government worker. Since the government pensions off the workers generously, she has the leisure to volunteer at a Taoist temple. She claims that she has unusually thick skin, she does what she thinks is right, and the rest of the opposing volunteers could go fly kites. Since she has a comfortable pension, she could afford to be big-hearted and treat fellow volunteers to tea and coffee, snacks and desserts. She not only finds meaning in serving her Gods, she finds fellowship in laughing and working with fellow volunteers.

Her daughter, however, is not so fortunate. The young lady is often stressed by the pressure that came from pursuing her career. It is the right job, but she herself could not manage the unavoidable pressure. On top of that, she has a long standing boy friend whom she is having second thoughts of marrying. I find it strange that one could have the same boy friend for ten years. If he is the right person, then what are they waiting for? If he is not, then why waste time? Well, the mum said that some inheritance is involved, the young lady is somewhat perturbed by the thought that he is after her money. Here, I feel bad for the daughter, inheritance is supposed to smooth one's way in life; not to complicate it.

I exchanged a few pleasantries with the daughter, at the counter and the weighing-measuring blood pressure room. She is worried that a second autoimmune disorder is involved. She looked doomed by worries. I commented that autoimmune response is often caused by some hidden underlying reasons. Mine was caused by the fact that I did not react well to my handicaps that came from dyslexia. Dyslexia is not a curse, it is a host of possible talents that bring with it many short comings. One simply has to accept the handicaps, over come them and maximise the talents. I did that after my marriage, I had the leisure to be a homemaker who observes the mothers and children in my neighbourhood and my church. Later I got to know a few mothers of my children's friends and classmates. Looking at the many varied relationships, I learnt about myself and my mother. By looking back, I was able work out a few knots that bothered me. In time to come, I attended a few seminars to do with inner healing. When the right counsellor turned up, I met up with her for more than ten sessions. God is more than willing to heal, if and when those who need healing are willing to open their hearts and ask Him.

Twenty six years on, I still go for my half yearly check-ups, I take minimal medicine. Whenever I forget to take my pills, I thank God that I don't need them. If I felt poorly, I increased the meds by one notch. God had healed me from the two years when I could hardly stand up and walk. Doctors play a big part too. After all plants are created by God, medicine is mostly distilled from plants by scientists. Then clever men and women innovated and created similar compounds to experiment with. I am grateful to God and man, otherwise I would be in a wheelchair today.

No comments:

Post a Comment