Sunday, December 9, 2018

(1051) The Young and Brave

The other day in the course of conversation, I mentioned about the first classmate of mine who died of a car accident at age 27 in Spain. My husband said his first course mate died on the journey from Perth to Melbourne at age 21 while still studying in university. Elizabeth said her varsity mate died of drowning at age 23.

That brought to mind all the reckless experiences I had as a student in Virginia. I went white water rafting. Climbed a hill in spring while there was ice and melting snow. Travelling after midnight on mountainous roads in winter during weekends. Being snow bound on friend's campus far away from my college. I have been very fortunate that nothing untoward happened. No freak accidents. No drunk driver within striking distance. One could survive through social whirls with very little sleep running on pure adrenalin. I thank God that the designated driver was at least six years older than most of us and he is very experienced in driving along snowy mountainous roads. After all, he was from Hong Kong and he had been driving many years in Virginia at that point.

Until today, I have not told my mom all the exciting things I have experienced in USA. To her, most of it would be unnecessary and dangerous. True to form, after I returned to my home country, I have never had the chance to do any of those things again. One is only young and brave once, as the white hair multiply on my head and responsibilities are added on, the things in the youth cannot be repeated. And neither am I interested in taking chances again.

No comments:

Post a Comment