Monday, December 3, 2018

(1044) Being a Nobody

My husband and my youngest child went to The Emperor of Japan's Birthday Celebration near Jalan Ampang recently. She looked very young, cut her hair short. By society's standard, she is a nobody.

By nature, she is an extrovert. While I kept quiet and observed the crowd in years past, she talked to one and all. A few people were curious and with great diplomacy, asked how she came to be invited. Well, my husband served as an office bearer in a cultural organisation, since he is an alumni of an exchange program in Japan. This year, I saw the event as a great temptation. Food has never held much attraction to me. These days, there are meals that I take vegetables and complex carbohydrates only. Wah Yu beef or not, if my body indicated that the next day's meal better be simple to digest, I would stick with vegetables and fruits. It is important to control my diet to be kind to my digestive system if I intend to live long enough to complete my mission here on earth. Plus, looking at all the many types of desserts, I can't take any because of the presence of white sugar, it is better not to go than exercise iron discipline.

It has never bothered me that I can't dress to the nines or wear imported shoes. What other people think of dowdy me matters not at all to me. If I need to, I'll dress up a little to fit in, if not, I'll purposely dress down to be dismissed at a glance. Being a wall flower is very useful, one who is "invisible" hears all sorts of things not intended for one's ears. It is interesting to be under estimated. It is freeing oneself from the meaningless social talk.

Next year, Elizabeth said she'll go again even though the food was disappointing. She enjoyed one teriyaki chicken and the beef was smooth in texture only. She thought the style of cooking could be improved upon. She enjoyed meeting people one seldom meets in her circles. However, she enjoyed the pear of Fukushima (not sure of my spelling!), she thought that was the best pear she has ever tasted, after all a little bit of radiation won't kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment